Last updated on May 25, 2018
1. What Data Do We Get?
There are some parts of data that we collect directly from the user, these include things like the data we get from other platforms that you connect to the Website. We also gather the information that you enter yourself. Other data is collected automatically like the parts of the Website that you spend the most time using and also the information about the device that you are using.
1.1. The Data You Share With Us
If you create an account and use the Website, including through a third-party websites, we collect the data you provide directly. The data stored by us and associated with your account includes things like:
- Account Data (the "Account Data"): if you wish to get access to some features and purchases on the Website, then you will have to create an account. Whenever you update or create a new account then store the data that you provide like passwords and email addresses.
- Shared Content: there are some parts of the Website which allow you to share content and communicate with other users. You can share content in the form of answers, files or even reviews. All of this shared content will be available to the public depending on where it has been posted.
- Profile Data: if you wish then you can also provide us your profile information like data of birth, photo, gender and more. However, all of your profile data will be visible publicly.
- Account Payment Data: if you want to make any kind of purchase from the Website then you will need to provide your billing data to our payment processing partner. To ensure maximum security, the Website does not collect any sensitive data like credit card numbers. However, we do collect some data such as the name and zip code of the user.
- Communication and Support: We also collect data including contact information, messages, email address, location and more every time you contact us to report a problem or for technical support.
1.2. The Data That We Collect Automatically
When you access the Website, we collect some data by automated means. This information is collected through the use of server log files and tracking technologies (more information about this can be found in Section 2.1.). This data is stored by us and associated with your account and includes:
- Usage Data (the "Usage Data"): we collect usage data from every user, this data includes things like pages accessed, features used, time spent, click data, search queries and other data.
- System Data (the "System Data"): we also collect technical data known as system data. This kind of data includes things like operating system type, IP address, device type, browser and its language, domain and more.
- Approximate Geographic Data: approximate geographic location data is also collect, the information that we collect include country, city and geographic coordinates. All of this data is collected bases on the calculations on your IP address.
2. How Do We Get Data About You?
We use a variety of different tools for gathering user data. These tools include things like analytics services, cookies, web beacons and advertising providers. You do have the choice to stop some tools from being used for data collection.
2.1. Cookies and Data Collection Tools
2.1.1. What Are Cookies?
Cookies are a great way for storing, sharing and gathering data related to your internet activities across different websites. Cookies are described as text files that your browser stores as you use the internet. Cookies help in many ways, they help us remember your visits to the Website and give us some valuable information to help you give you a better experience.
We also use session cookies that are deleted automatically after sometime or when you close your browser. The other kind is known as persistent cookies that are stored in the browser for a specific amount of time. We use persistent cookies to gather data related to your activities for a longer period of time, whereas session cookies are used to gather smaller pieces of information.
- In order to bring more valuable content to you; to deliver more personalized content to you.
- For purposes of research and analytical data: we keep track of how people interact with our the Website and improve our the Website accordingly. We utilize analytics partners like Google Analytics which use many similar technologies and cookies in order to develop key insights into our traffic insights. You have the option of opting out of these services through tools like the Opt-out browser add-on.
- Security: cookies help us in fighting off spam, viruses and other abuses of our the Website agreement. This way we ensure safe and easy the Website experience for you.
- Advertising: cookies help us in showing you better more relevant advertisements.
You must however, keep in mind that the technology pertaining to advertising is directly integrated to our the Website and hence, it is possible that you still receive advertisements on other sites which are not optimized to your interests.
As for mobile applications, you will receive advertisements within the applications. These advertisements are governed by specific rules that have been laid out by Apple iOS, Google Android and Microsoft Windows to control their use. As for other types of operating systems and devices, you should revisit your privacy setting and keep in touch with your platform operator.
2.1.3. What Are Cookies Privacy Options
- As a default setting, many of the popular browsers that we use today accept cookies automatically. However, this is a setting that you can later change by going into the browser settings and decline the cookies option. One thing to keep in mind is that, if you choose this option then you will not be able to customize or sign in to the Website if you change the settings.
- If you want to control cookies that are used for tailored advertising, visit the consumer opt-out pages for the Digital Advertising Alliance and Network Advertising Initiative. However, if you live in the European Union then you can visit the Your Online Choice Site. If you want to change Google Analytics' settings or customize the Google Display Network advertisements then you should visit the Google Ads Settings Page.
- There are different kinds of cookies that you can find, one of which are flash cookies. They function in a different manner than browser cookies and that is why they cannot be disabled in the conventional way. If you wish to manage flash cookies then visit Website Storage Settings Panel or read Adobe's article on managing flash cookies.
Cookies are used to provide the user a better experience, we use it to personalize your experience, analyze your activity on the Website and help the Website recognize you whenever you return. Web beacons help us measure the actions of the Website's users and visitors, this information is used for finding out whether a page was visited or if an email was opened. Web beacons are also used for better advertising by identifying new mobile app downloads and stopping some promotional messages from being shown to certain users.
Some of the main types of cookies that the Website uses are mentioned below:
- Functional: These kinds of cookies are used for storing functional settings like the volume level that you normally use.
- Preferences: These kinds of cookies store the data related to your preferred and browser settings. These settings may affect the behavior and appearance of the Website.
- Session State: Session State cookies are used to collect data related to your interactions on the Website. This information is used to improve the Website and give you a better experience over all. The cookies are also used to enable processing of your purchase and remember your login details. Session State cookies are extremely important for the Website to work correctly, so make sure that you do not disable them.
- Security: As the name suggests Security Cookies are used for security purposes. They are used to allow you to access and login the Website and prevent false logins. These cookies also help to prevent unauthorized use of an account.
Third-party partners also operate on our the Website to provide some much needed features. These clients use Local Storage Objects (LSO) or flash cookies in order to store and gather data.
We use Google Analytics and other third-party mobile and browser analytics services on the Website. With the help of these serves we can analyze your activities on the Website with the help of Data Collection Tools. The information that we get include how often you visit, third-party websites, events of the Website, performance data and where you downloaded the application from. All of this data is used to improve the Website and to understand how the Website works on all of the different devices.
2.4. Online Advertising
To advertise our Website on other websites and application we sometimes use third-party services like Facebook, Google's ad services and Taboola. The ads that are displayed are based on the information that we gather about you. The data we use can be the System Data or the Usage Data, the ad service providers also use the data that they know about you based on their tracking data. Your activity on other sites and services including recent activity is also taken into account during advertisements.
Different advertising services have different ways to gather data, most of these services however opt to place tracking technologies and cookies on your devices to collect data regarding your activity on the Website. The information gathered through tracking and cookies is then used to display the most relevant advertisements. To make sure that the advertisements are always relevant we give the service providers a hashed version of your email address which is basically unreadable by a human, we may also share with them the content that you share publicly on the Website.
If you are using a mobile application then you may also see advertisements. However, depending on the operating system you are using may it be iOS, Android or Windows, they all have different methods to control app advertisements. If you use some other operating system or device then you should go through the privacy settings and get information about your platform.
3. What Do We Use Data From You For?
The data that we collect from the user is used for a variety of different reasons. First and foremost it is given to the Website to improve the user experience, the data is used to communicate with the user and also to troubleshoot issues. This data is also used for security against abuse and fraud, it is used for personalized advertising and to analyze how people interact with the Website.
As mentioned earlier, the data is used for different reasons, some of which are mentioned below:
- The data is used to process orders and requests for services, products, information and other features.
- It is used to display personalized content on the Website and to communicate with the users to provide a better experience.
- To communicate with the user through:
- Sending messages and information about new products, new features, promotions, services, newsletters and promotions.
- Replying to all of your concerns and questions.
- Sending notifications and administrative messages about the Websites and updates to the agreements.
- We also send push notifications to your devices for updates and messages. However, you can choose to disable this feature on your device.
- Administer surveys and market promotions that are sponsored by the Website.
- Administer your account preferences and personalized settings.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues, prevent frauds and secure the Website as a whole.
- Get feedback from the users.
- Develop services, features and new products for the Website to improve it.
- Display advertisements across all of the different devices.
- Identify and recognize unique or new users from different devices.
- Link your data with other data provided by third-party data providers. Use analytics service provides to analyze the data.
- Advertise the Website on other applications and websites.
- As permitted by low we are determined to ensure security and safety of your employees, third parties and users.
4. Who Do We Share Data With?
Your data can be shared with some of the companies that are working for us to provide services these include analytics, social media providers, data enrichment providers, advertisement companies and those companies that help us run various surveys and promotion in order to promote our Website. We can also share your data when it's gathered or with your consent. You data can also be shared for security, corporate restructuring and legal compliance.
The circumstances under which we may share your data with third parties has been described below.
- With Data Enrichment Services and Analytics: whenever we use third-party services like Google analytics then we share some of your information including, Account Data, contact information, Usage Data, de-identified data and the System Data. De-identified data is that data that does not have the users email address or name, all of these things are replaced with a token ID. With this techniques, all of these service providers can provide analytics services and match your data with database information that is publicly available.
- With Agents, Service Providers, Contractors: in order to get services like payment processing, marketing, advertising, hosting services, customer services and data analysis we have to share your data with these third-party companies. The third-party companies can only use and access your data according to the guidelines that we provide.
- For Advertising: we may share and use come of your Usage and System Data with third-party advertisers or service provides if we decide to offer advertising sometime in the future. This data is used to show preference information of the user and demographics for better advertising. Various data collection tools can also be sued by these service providers in order to collect the System Data. This data is used to show you targeted advertisements to personalize your experience. The advertisers also have the right to share the data that they have collected with use. You can however, choose to opt out from taking part in behavioral advertising, but take not that general ads will still be showed to you.
- To Govern Surveys and Promotions: we can use your data to govern or market promotions and surveys that you choose to take part in. We will only take data as required by the law or in accordance with the rules of the survey or promotion.
- For Legal Compliance and Security: we many provide third parties with your data if we believe that the disclosure is:
- Requested for a legal inquiry, governmental or judicial proceeding/
- Required by the law
- If the data is required as a warrant, legal request or proceedings.
- We can share the data to protect the Website from harm and to protect its rights, property, users, employees and members of the public.
- The data can also be disclosed to prevent fraud, violations of any kind, abuse and to address technical and security issues.
- After De-Identification: we can also disclose any de-identified data for any reason.
- During Change in Control: if the Website undergoes acquisition, merger or sale of assets then we may transfer all of your data to the new organization.
Depending on the sensitivity of the data being stored we use the best and most appropriate methods. There is always a chance of unauthorized access on the internet and we are well aware of that and hence, we recommend our users to immediately establish contact with our team in case you detect or feel something of the sort. We also strongly recommend that you create passwords that are difficult to crack.
Sine we collect and store your data we take it as our responsibility to protect it from being ever disclosed, altered or destroyed and even protect it against unauthorized access. We take measures depending on the extent and sensitivity of the data that is in question. We however, cannot ensure 100% security as it is near to impossible, and cannot guarantee that your data will not be completely safe from unauthorized access during your communication with the Website. At all times, it is strongly suggested that users take all the right measures to protect their passwords and never disclose it to anyone, especially any third parties. You are requested to immediately change your password if you ever feel or suspect that it has been compromised. You always have the option to contact us in this regard.
6. Users' Rights
There are some basic rights to which you are entitled to as a user of our '. This includes your right to opt out of cookies, collection of data through analytic services and our promotional emails. You can terminate your account at any time and send us a request regarding your personal data. As a parent, if you feel we have collected some data about an underage child of yours then you should contact us and ask to delete that information immediately.
6.1. Use of Data and User Choices
If you ask us to not collect your data then the services and features that you enjoy on the Website will be limited.
- You can at any time rid yourself of our promotional emails by simply changing your email preferences or by using the unsubscribe mechanism that is provided with promotional content that you receive. Please note that irrespective of your email preferences, you will continue to receive transactional and relationship messages from us. These include order confirmations, policy changes and notices, and other administrative messages.
- You may be allowed to control cookies and other local data storage types through the browser, system or device. You can also control the data we collect about your location or other data from your wireless device.
- You can visit the Google Ads Settings page to change and opt out Google's Display Network or Google's Display Advertising.
- You can use the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on to opt out of Google Analytics.
6.2. Updating, Deleting and Accessing Your Personal Data
We have mentioned the method with which you can update or access your personal data on the Website in the following lines,
- Log into your account, update the information and also update your account at any given time.
- In order to terminate your account:
- Go to your profile settings page and follow each and every step.
- You can contact us if you have any issues in terminating your account.
- Please bear in mind, that after you terminate your account then some or all of your data may still be visible to third parties. This includes all the information that may have been stored, copied or spread by other users. This also includes your shared content or those things which you posted or shared on other third party platforms. Terminating an account does not mean that we give up or destroy all the information we collected rather we hold onto it, under applicable law, up to a time that we deem fit. We may also disclose or retain your data after you have terminated it.
- You will have to contact us directly if you want to request access, delete or correct your personal data. Allows us thirty days to answer to your query and please note that we may entertain your email if it is from the email address that you used to create the account in the first place. We may also need to verify your identity before entertaining the request at any level. Also remember, that we retain certain data for ourselves under applicable law and with good reason such as completing transactions or for keeping mandatory record.
We encourage parents and guardians to take keen interest in the internet activities of their children and we full acknowledge the privacy concerns that a parent may have. We will not collect data from anyone under the age of 13 (or under sixteen for European Economic Area) and such people are not supposed to use the Website. We will take reasonable steps to delete such data as soon as it comes in our knowledge.
If you come to know about some data we may have collected about your child then you can contact us at any time and we will delete it.
7. Specified Jurisdiction Rules
7.1. California Users
As a resident of California, you reserve the right to some details of your personal data and how we share them with third parties for direct marketing purposes. You can contact us at any time for this and just enter ' Californa Shine the Light' in the subject to get our attention along with your email address, state of residence and mailing address.
Since we do not have Do Not Track standards or implementations or solutions we do not entertain or comprehend Do Not Track signals initiated by browsers.
7.2. Users outside of the USA
As a data controller, the Website is committed to fulfill the GDPR rights of data subjects. In operating the Website, we process data as a controller. (such terms are clearly defined in the EU General Data Protection Regulation)
8. Updates & Contact Info